Well, look at that. It’s already November, guys! I hope everyone had a great Halloween. I thoroughly enjoyed all the innovative pumpkin recipes that have been floating around the WordPress community and the rest of the internet the past few days. Some of my favourites include this delicious-looking turkey pumpkin chili, these lovely mini pumpkin pies, this impressive pumpkin orange cheesecake, and this healthy pumpkin granola.
What I have here is a recipe for a terrific chocolate loaf cake that is in every way delightful. Yes, this is the result of yet another experiment in the kitchen. Throw in some rye flour, some cake flour, some cocoa powder and a bunch of base ingredients and you’ve got just the right amount of sweetness and just the right flavours that make up a lovely chocolate loaf. You know what the best part is? This is a butterless and eggless cake. That’s right. No eggs in the carton? No butter in the fridge? You’re in luck! And honestly, you could whip this up in no time at all!
The inclusion of rye flour provides an almost chewy, bread-like texture and taste, which is always a welcome quality in yeast-free quickbreads. This chocolate creation reminds me of the sweet breads you get at Asian bakeries, where they’d display loaves upon cotton-soft loaves of wonderful delicately flavoured breads from taro to matcha to milk!
You’d think the deep, distinctive flavour of rye would be too overpowering and invasive on the tastebuds, but I was pleasantly surprised at how gorgeous it turned out. The rye lends the loaf a very subtle nutty, spiced flavour. It leaves a sticky, moist crumb that seems dense to the eye, but is actually fairly light and airy when you bite into it.
Chocolate Rye Loaf | An Eggless & Butterless Recipe
1 cup cake flour
1/2 cup organic rye flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup grapeseed oil (or canola oil)
1 cup milk, cold
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C and lightly grease a 9″ x 4″ loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine cake flour, rye flour, baking soda and cocoa powder until mixture is a uniform colour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar and oil together. Then add the milk, vinegar and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Gradually stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture until combined. You should get a fairly runny, glossy batter.
- Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan and bake from approximately 45 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cake stand in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.