I sat down to write this a couple of days ago, but out of the blue, I came down with a cold and could not concentrate. Apart from all the sneezing and sniffling, staring at the computer screen would make my eyes tear up and I’d have to blink and look away every few seconds. So I stopped to wait until I got better. The cold cleared up almost overnight and I’m glad I’m not sick anymore because this wouldn’t be a good time to be out of action. I’m supposed to be busy preparing for my trip to Singapore next week and there’s still much to be done before then.
Anyway, a few days ago, while baking and shooting for Jillian’s Christmas blog event (more on this when my recipe gets featured), one of the resident kookaburras came by and landed near the window for a bit of a stare down. It wasn’t afraid of me even when I went outside with my camera and approached it slowly. Actually, I was more afraid of it. I knew it was protecting a nest around the other side of the house, so I didn’t want to get it angry. I took a few quick pictures and left it alone.
Moving along. I’m sure we’re all here for these gorgeous, tasty little treats, aren’t we? Mmm, the warm, comforting scent of freshly baked banana bread paired with a snowfall dusting of cinnamon sugar. Here is one of my baked donut recipes that incorporates such elements and yields little rings of sweet, pillowy soft goodies. They are everything a perfect donut should be.
I would say that this is probably the most rewarding thing I’ve baked in awhile. The sensation of biting into that lovely, aromatic, ultra moist interior and experiencing the flavourful burst of banana and sugared spice play on your tongue. Absolute heaven.
These guys are fairly sweet and delicious on their own without the cinnamon sugar coating, so you could probably omit it if you wanted a slightly healthier alternative. But if you have an unapologetic sweet tooth, you could try smothering these donuts in a thick chocolate glaze and maybe include a light dusting of rainbow sprinkles over the top!
Pillowy Cinnamon Sugar Banana Bread Donuts
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
A pinch of salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
2 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the cinnamon sugar coating:
50g butter, melted
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 175°C and lightly grease a regular 6-hole donut pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and egg until well combined and glossy.
- While continuing to mix, slowly drizzle the oil into the egg mixture.
- Stir in the mashed bananas and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and slowly mix until no flour streaks remain.
- Carefully spoon the batter into each donut indention until almost full.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the tops feel quite firm.
- Remove pan from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before gently removing each donut with a fork and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Very lightly brush each donut with the melted butter and coat them in the cinnamon sugar, shaking off any excess.