I haven’t been a good girl today. I skipped breakfast, had nothing but a cup of sencha, and got to work on a green tea goji berry cake. For those interested, the cake wasn’t successful. I burnt it. That’s what you get when you don’t pay close enough attention to the oven. It came out hard and dry. I was hoping for light and moist. Well, darn. After lamenting the loss of the cake and resolving to remake it again some day, I quickly moved on to something I’d been meaning to bake for awhile but never got around to.
Sweet chocolate chips and dense marzipan morsels embedded in a simple chocolate cake… ahh, bliss. You will find true happiness in this studded brown loaf. Also, who knew chopping up a block of marzipan into little itty bitty pieces could be so therapeutic?
Springy and light, the cake itself isn’t too dense or overpowering in flavour. Instead, its soft cocoa notes are highlighted by the tiny chips of melt-in-your-mouth milk chocolate hidden in the loaf. You are rewarded with a delightful burst of sweetness with each bite.
Baked to a gorgeous golden brown, the marzipan chunks sitting atop the cake will have developed a lovely crisp outer shell. You will immediately notice the difference between the browned morsels and the hidden ones buried in the soft, spongy body of the cake as soon as you take a bite out of a warm slice.
Chocolate Chip Marzipan Loaf
adapted from The Chocolate and Coffee Bible.
1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
130g marzipan, chopped
4 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180°C and lightly grease a 9″ x 4″ loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and cocoa powder. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat the eggs into the creamed mixture.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into creamed mixture until just combined.
- Mix the chopped marzipan with the chocolate chips. Reserve about 4 tablespoons of the mix (for sprinkling) and fold the rest into the batter.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan and even out the mixture, then scatter the top with the remaining marzipan and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Do not overbake!
- Remove from oven and let cake stand in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.