The Hazel Tea Shop is a Taiwanese dessert café franchise known for their extensive bubble tea menu and sweet desserts. We deem this particular Hazel outlet far better than the others on the Gold Coast as it is able to offer hot food options like noodle bowls and rice dishes (other outlets serve only drinks). Following the closure of the Hazel at Chevron Renaissance, the existing Hazel Tea Shop at the RSL Centre remains one of our favourite places to get bubble tea and have a quick meal in Surfers Paradise.
Our Top 5 Bubble Tea Flavours:
- Honey Black Tea Refreshing. Sweetened with honey (doesn’t have that “sugary” taste like the other teas). Great with tapioca pearls!
- Blueberry Green Tea Fruity and a little tart; not overly sweet. A good summer tea to beat the heat. Lovely with some of the fruit jellies.
- Sesame Milk Tea Unique flavour. Very smooth and easy to drink. A very filling tea, so keep that in mind when also ordering food!
- Taro Milk Tea Gorgeous pastel purple drink. Sweet, creamy and very satisfying. Great as a hot drink option, but just as good cold.
- Lemon Yoghurt Tangy and sweet, like a sorbet. The zesty lemon flavour never gets old. Definitely cleanses the palate after a meal.
They offer the following toppings: tapioca pearls, aloe jelly, konjac jelly, strawberry & lychee jelly, mango & lychee jelly, green apple & lychee jelly, grape & lychee jelly, coffee jelly, chocolate pudding, egg pudding.
Their desserts are also quite divine, my favourite being the “Grass Jelly Icey” with brown sugar base (pictured above). For just $5.50, you get a huge bowl of shaved ice smothered in syrup, topped with a generous amount of chewy tapioca pearls, grass jelly, sweetened taro pulp, red beans, taro mochi and sweet potato mochi.
Our Top 5 Hot Food Dishes:
- Braised Beef Noodles ($12.50) Best eaten during winter. Tender pieces of beef, crunchy Chinese broccoli and a large serving of noodles in a lovely broth. Perfect comfort food.
- 3-Cup Chicken Noodles ($12.50) A popular Taiwanese recipe. Chicken on the bone braised with garlic and ginger in a thick sweet and savoury sauce. Served on a bed of noodles.
- Chicken Teppanyaki Set ($12.50) Pieces of chicken, an egg and some chopped vegetables are neatly arranged on a sizzling hot plate and served with steamed white rice.
- Mapo Tofu with Rice ($10) A mildly spicy amalgamation of tofu pieces, minced meat, chilli and black bean sauce, served with a side of steamed white rice.
- Popcorn Chicken ($6.50) Small morsels of chicken, deep fried and lightly seasoned. You can choose to have yours seasoned slightly spicier than normal. A great snack food.
The food at Hazel can be fairly greasy, so we do limit our visits. Most of the time, we just go there to get our bubble tea fix, and that’s good enough for us.
The restaurant itself is brightly lit, charmingly decorated and pleasantly air-conditioned, which makes for a lovely place to hang out in summer. Their friendly and attentive staff make ordering food a breeze. It should be noted that this Hazel Tea Shop won the award for Best Asian Restaurant on the Gold Coast in 2012.
HAZEL TEA SHOP
Shop 9, RSL Centre
9 Beach Road, Surfers Paradise
Gold Coast, Queensland 4217
Opening hours: 11:00am – 9:00pm daily